• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Stop Paying Union Dues Yrc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 JrLsHud16

JrLsHud16

• Members
  • 4 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 08:04 AM

We have several employees at out terminal with YRC that is considering not paying union dues any longer. What happens is we don't pay in?

#2 ROLLTIDE1

ROLLTIDE1

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 08:57 AM

you become a free loader. what state are you in? :shock:

#3 Masshole

Masshole

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 229 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 09:36 AM

We have several employees at out terminal with YRC that is considering not paying union dues any longer. What happens is we don't pay in?

You become a SCAB.

#4 fr8man

fr8man

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 298 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 10:27 AM

LOL, who's the freeloader? Some of u guys really have to lay-off the kool-aid. And why would they be scabs?? Cause they're not happy they're taking a royal screwing up the ass. Geez, if you think these guys are scabs cause of this, and u go along with it. I got a bridge I want to sell you.
I know they reduced union dues at the beginning of the yr for YRC guys cause of the first 10% giveback. I see no reason why they wouldn't do it again.

#5 JrLsHud16

JrLsHud16

• Members
  • 4 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 10:31 AM

Apparently the same as you ROLL TIDE---Why be a smartass? I am asking a questions that I need a answer.

#6 ROLLTIDE1

ROLLTIDE1

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 11:03 AM

the dues will adjust to 2.5 times the hourly rate. as for fr8man, a scab is a scab, i realize times are tough but we all enjoy benefits and wages under these labor agreements. i have been a teamster for 20 years and could not have had the livelihood had it not been for the men and woman who came before me. as a local official i might not always agree with everything that goes on at the ibt, but i will take it anyday over the choice of working for a company like fedex.(for all the folks who dont want to pay dues, go to work for fedex you dont have to pay them there!!)

#7 alex_y

alex_y

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 2,373 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 11:05 AM

Vegas, WOW, that's your best yet. very impressive. I'm putting that explanation in my file for future reference.

Now, let me also point out something to JrLsHud16 that he may not already know. If your contract has a Union Security clause that requires you to pay dues and you do not work in a right to work state, this is what your Union would do with your refusal to pay dues. First they would properly warn you that your refusal to pay dues could subject you to termination of your employment along with some other legally required warnings and they would give you a short reasonable amount of time in which to pay your dues. Your continued failure to pay dues beyond that point would result in the Union sending a notice to your employer to terminate you within a specified short period of time. The company then fires you unless you have tendered to the Union the dues that you owe and they replace you, in the case of YRCW with one of their lais off employees who may or may not thank you for creating that vacancy. :shock: There are many variations of this process but the end result is the same, you are on the outside looking in and usually even more unhappy than you previously were. When you are a part of a brotherhood you need to be a contributing part and not looking for your brothers to pay your way for you.

Why don't you try to be a part of a tax revolt as well and test those waters. :-?
alex y.

#8 ROLLTIDE1

ROLLTIDE1

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 11:08 AM

very well put alex..

#9 JrLsHud16

JrLsHud16

• Members
  • 4 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 11:09 AM

Vegas Jim, I appreciate your response but I expect nothing less from you which I beleive is employed by the Teamsters. If we keep giving they will keep taking from us. Once we get our 20% back and retirement then I will be happy to start back paying dues. Talking with another driver from a different company
yesterday and he is in the process of stopping his union dues. There is alot of people that need the amount they give Teamsters each month just to keep a roof over their heads because of the pay cuts we have taken. The union has allowed YRC to buy these unionized companies and put them all under one roof. And now YRC has the Teamsters by the "balls" and the Teamsters have to do what YRC ask of them. Teamster has went from representing the employees to doing what they can to stay alive.

#10 JrLsHud16

JrLsHud16

• Members
  • 4 posts

Achievements

Posted August 04 2009 - 11:17 AM

Yes I am in a right to work state.

#11 Sherri Henry

Sherri Henry

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 489 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 07:22 AM

Let's say three friends are all avid marathon runners. Let's say they decide that pooling their money together to buy Gatorade will net them cheaper prices, so they do so to advantage their collective buying power. So they strike a deal with a distributor to purchase a particular volume of Gatorade each month for a set price: Any less Gatorade reduces the volume discount, so it's in their interests - provided they keep running marathons - to stay in the pool.

What happens if one or more of them decide they don't want to contribute to the pool for a particular month? Well, the other two runners could decide to be kind, making up the difference and still distributing the 1/3 share to the non-paying cartel member. But that's not very likely. What would probably happen is that the group of two would then negotiate as such, receiving lesser volume discounts owing to their decreased buying power. So the non-payer would get nothing, and the remaining two would get something less than what they previously had.

This analogy is slightly flawed inasmuch as unlike the non-paying marathon runner above, your union would still have to represent you in a right-to-work state. However, where the analogy *IS* apt is that if you decrease a union's financial ability to represent its members, you're effectively asking for free "Gatorade" in a capitalist market - a market in which the old maxim of "there is no such thing as a free lunch" has yet to be proven wrong.

I suspect what you're alluding to here is whether or not a dues "holiday" would get the union's attention; e.g. "force" them to "realize" something. The problem here is two-fold: (1) You're assuming the union isn't doing the best it can in this situation, something which economics would suggest isn't true; and (2) you're effectively arguing that reducing the union's ability to pay its agents (read also "those who help bargain on your behalf") would or should paradoxically make them more able to function, an idea which goes against about every strain of capitalist thought I've ever heard. Also implicit in that notion is that once the union "realizes" its "folly," that all dues holiday folk will simply opt back in to check-off, an argument which flies in the face of simple finance (e.g. if you were able to get something for nothing - excepting for one second that you wouldn't - why would you then voluntarily agree to start paying for it?).

Let's turn this around for a second. If YRCW suffered some sort of shock - say a major customer decided to no longer pay the company - would you expect YRCW to have the same ability to pay you? Probably not, as without making up for that new customer by immediately attracting another of equal size they'd be left short on revenue. The same would be true for you and YRCW if they lost lots of smaller accounts. Now, since YRCW is now short 'x' amount of revenue, they could either ask their employees to work for less, or they could lay people off; make no mistake, though, they'd have to do one or the other (or both) considering that revenue doesn't just grow on trees. In either case I'll assume you'd agree that YRCW as an organization would be able to "produce" less (or, given what they do, provide less services) than they previously did.

But what you're arguing with the "stop paying dues" tripe suggests that the laws of revenue cease to apply to the IBT, and that even without revenue they should be able to keep employees around. Just because a union isn't a corporation doesn't mean it doesn't require revenue: People need to be paid, office supplies must be purchased, etc. So I must ask: What would possibly be accomplished by not paying the union? What's the logic there? Nevermind the logic, what is the proposed outcome? I think you know it doesn't make any sense.

The YRCW situation is a bad one to be sure. But cutting off one's nose to spite one's face is never a good approach to ... well, anything. Not only that, but the ultimate solution to this problem can't be had in the short term. That is, the only way YRCW workers and/or any other Teamster-represented [trucking] class will ever succeed is for the Teamsters to re-exert themselves in the trucking sector, organizing non-union carriers to increase their market share (or, following the above analogy, "buying power"). And while there's lots of blame to go around for the Teamsters' deflated position in the trucking sector, the reality is that stripping them of dues money for some myopic, selfish protest makes it a manifest destiny that they'll never be able to do what you'd like them to.

I'm hardly suggesting that you plaster a smile across your face and pretend this thing is great. What I am suggesting, by contrast, is that in life sometimes we all have to face and deal with things we'd prefer not to, and that sometimes "bad" outcomes are actually the less-bad of the multiple possibilities. That is, if you were without Teamster representation, the company would simply impose whatever it wished, and your right to vote would be but a fantasy. Moreover, I'd argue that sans union representation the company would've likely imposed a far deeper cut, knowing that you were without recourse. Does that truth make this wonderful? No, no it doesn't. But in life it's possible (and frequent) for people to make a bad situation dire, acting out of vengeance or other visceral emotions to "show" someone how ... well, how reactionary they are; that's about all that's displayed in such a venture. And make no mistake: Eroding the funding of the only group on your side is about as reactionary as it gets, not to mention foolish and myopic.

All of that said, the long and short of it is that by defunding the union you would be harming it. That's unarguable. And as harming the union is a patent violation of a member's oath, one would be reasonably within their rights to use the "S" word to refer to anyone engaging in such a practice. And before you lay claim to your right to discontinue paying for something which isn't "working," let me point out that the fact you're all voting on this is necessary evidence to the contrary (e.g. it's *YOU* who's going to decide the approach), and that simply because the union isn't able to shield you from the laws of economics and finance doesn't mean they're not acting on your behalf. I mean, that sort of logic suggests that because AIDS or cancer researchers haven't yet defeated those diseases that they're not worthy of funding and that they're "bad" at what they do. It's pure BS, and I think you know it.

Jim,

Come on man! This guy doesn't deserve this!

YOU have a biased opinion. Responding to questions like this with a BIASED opinion, is almost anti-worker!
Lighten up on this guy, besides carrying freight, these guys are toting so much weight on their shoulders they wouldn't make through a weigh station!

#12 Sherri Henry

Sherri Henry

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 489 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 07:41 AM

DO NOT BELIEVE these assholes.
What has happened to you is horse ****. The only way you will make the union stand at attention is to hit them where they hit you.
Right in the pocket book. Hoffa should have been more attentive to the NMFA if he did not want you all to ACT LIKE TEAMSTERS and instead follow his lead.
He did not ORGANIZE in this, the core industry and now his choice of directors managing the organizing department has steered the whole damn administration down a dead end path. Without yellow paying dues, the international will have no choice but to step up to the plate.

If you stop paying your dues, you will continue to be represented as you are. Most likely, out of fear of losing you all together you should see some action at the local level. Trust me, this union by no stretch of the imagination can afford to lose YRC.

I live in a right to work state -- Pulling your membership card does nothing to your job and/or your ability to work under the existing contract. What it does do is it stops the union from receiving their pay for a poorly managed job. It does not make you a SCAB. It makes you an activist standing up for your rights. You can reinstate your payment of dues at anytime you choose. If the union is doing their job in the first place this would never become a problem for them.
Don't let these assholes or any others force you to accept less than the Constitution of this Union promises you.

These assholes have another agenda to attend to.
A SCAB is someone who takes a union job and does not pay for the representation the union provides.
You all have been supporting this union, along with those who preceded you under the master freight agreement. You are the CORE INDUSTRY of this UNION. And now after all these years, the actions of the international have destroyed your BARGAINING POWER and with that the union is no longer acting in your best interest! That should be the bottom line. Your wages have been cut and your benefits damned.
Hell every member of this union has been damaged by the agreement involving the pension!
You have a million and one supporters out there, I have heard from many of them who feel you all were wronged. You are a collective unit, make your decisions as such. I don't know what state you are in and DO NOT POST IT ON HERE!
But, you need anything, please feel free! My contact information is below.
YELLOW/ROADWAY, you have a lot of support.

In solidarity

#13 teamstersTshirtman

teamstersTshirtman

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 07:50 AM

Wow, according to Sherri the SuperUnionist you should keep your dues money in your pocket because our Union cant, wont and hasnt done **** for you. Yup, that will sure make things better for all. Why even work for such a sorry company then? I heard SWIFT is hiring.... No union dues and all the miles you can handle......
Fighting Corporate Greed 24/7 .

Check that label !!! - Buy Union Made in the USA whenever possible

#14 Sherri Henry

Sherri Henry

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 489 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 08:10 AM

Wow, according to Sherri the SuperUnionist you should keep your dues money in your pocket because our Union cant, wont and hasnt done **** for you. Yup, that will sure make things better for all. Why even work for such a sorry company then? I heard SWIFT is hiring.... No union dues and all the miles you can handle......

You should know that best *******. Don't mislead these people like you have everyone else.
You have been trying to stop the buying from Zubie, a union company. You think these people you have sold shirts to, their business belongs to you. It doesn't it belongs to the company you worked for.

You hypocritic ass. You apparently thought you had been wronged and made the same decision to pull your membership, in your right-to-work authority, and continued to work under the contract. The only difference is your sorry ass presented him self as a union member while you were making commissions off union shirts.
Now here you stand trying to smooth your way into the click of demons on this thread.

shut up!

#15 teamstersTshirtman

teamstersTshirtman

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 08:14 AM

tshirt,

I'll call you shortly. Give me a couple of hours. Sorry about yesterday, but as always I wound up having about 40 things dropped in my lap.

Looking forward to it.

#16 Sherri Henry

Sherri Henry

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 489 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 08:20 AM

Could we just stick to the facts please.
Co-administrator does not make you right, it makes you able to delete my post and knock me off the site, but it does not make you right!
He asked "what will happen" - I did not see a direct answer anywhere on this thread, so I gave him one.

#17 Sherri Henry

Sherri Henry

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 489 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 08:23 AM

You become a SCAB.

Bull ****!

#18 teamstersTshirtman

teamstersTshirtman

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 08:28 AM

You should know that best *******. Don't mislead these people like you have everyone else.
You have been trying to stop the buying from Zubie, a union company. You think these people you have sold shirts to, their business belongs to you. It doesn't it belongs to the company you worked for.

You hypocritic ass. You apparently thought you had been wronged and made the same decision to pull your membership, in your right-to-work authority, and continued to work under the contract. The only difference is your sorry ass presented him self as a union member while you were making commissions off union shirts.
Now here you stand trying to smooth your way into the click of demons on this thread.

shut up!

Nobody ever said you were too smart for your own good and believing the lies of an EMPLOYER makes you appear truly stupid. My dues were paid and I was still the steward as of my last day(6/1/09). I'm actually embarrassed to have to explain myself to the likes of you but have to defend my good name whenever I can, even when a cretin like yourself is the source of the LIES. Now, please, leave me alone, I'm trying to work here and dont have time for your distractions - I have to process a Labor Day order that almost went to ScrewMeWear. You remember work, dont you Sherri? It was that thing you couldnt do good enough to keep your job.......

#19 Masshole

Masshole

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 229 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 11:05 AM

Bull ****!

Hey Scab, After God had finished the rattlesnake,the toad, and the vampire,he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab. A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles. When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out. No man (or woman) has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with. Judas was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself. A scab has not. Easu sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army.The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer. Esau was a traitor to himself, Judas was a traitor to his God, Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country. A scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class. The Scab by Jack London.

#20 yougottabekiddin

yougottabekiddin

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Achievements

Posted August 06 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hey Scab, After God had finished the rattlesnake,the toad, and the vampire,he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab. A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles. When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out. No man (or woman) has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with. Judas was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself. A scab has not. Easu sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army.The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer. Esau was a traitor to himself, Judas was a traitor to his God, Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country. A scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class. The Scab by Jack London.

Great post Masshole! This little fat piglet doesn't even know what a scab IS?????!!!! And she thinks she is qualified, nay, she thinks she is ENTITLED to a job working for the IBT? She wanted to represent us??!!! What a pathetic, chubby little imbecile she is. Maybe that explains why she encourages people to drop out of the Union and become SCABS. She simply doesn't know what the **** a scab is to begin with! HAHAHAHAHA! That is rich! YOU STUPID, UGLY BEAST!!!! You ought to jump off a ******* building you dope!