• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New Benifits Pkg Ups Local 710

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 linx

linx

• Members
  • 82 posts

Achievements

Posted April 02 2009 - 07:41 PM

The new 710 contract voted in, included a bargained proposal. UPS has the opportunity to submit , propose a new health care plan. The plan must be voted in by members in the near future. The HR spokesperson has been making their way around the centers involved for a little over a week. I attended my centers meeting recently, I am overly curious how many of my fellow members feel about the proposal. I intend to explore every opportunity to make an informed decision on this important vote. I was surprised at the amount of information that is missing from the proposed plan. Yes, I am a bit pessimistic, I must admit. UPS always seems to overlook providing details on pertinent information with regards to new plans being offered. I think they are going to try and rush this vote, to take advantage of the past practices of Aetns's deplorable behavior towards our members. The company sure has the momentum on this one. Just a thought.

The past dealings with Aetna has been a nightmare for most of the employees in my blg.. Members have to pay more and more every year out of pocket expenses for all types of care that Aetna denies to pay. Hence, Many members including myself are constantly dealing with non-payment issues, or worse collection companies. We all deserve better than the existing plan. I do not want to sound ungrateful, I am not. I know we all have a lot to be thankful for. I do not believe it should be so hard to care for our families.

I started this post to get your take on the new plan proposal if you will be affected. I have just a few questions to start. Does the union have a leg to stand on if the company uses the language as written in the document," We reserve the right to change policy at any time" this sounds like a credit card pitch. not a good faith bargained proposal. Does the lifetime benefit have an rejuvenatory yearly calculation? Medco distributes the prescription drug policy. Is there a," Formulary" involved. This would greatly increase your out of pocket expenses. There are many questions that an hour long presentation lacked to fulfill answers to. Let me know your comments

Linx
Linx

#2 705upser

705upser

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Achievements

Posted April 03 2009 - 07:25 AM

My question would be, why was this change not included in the original contract vote? There is no reason to vote on a contract only to have it changed during the term of the contract. Why did 710 allow this?

We are in the federal courts right now with ups over them raising the retirees medical deductible. I guess the question is will Pat allow this to happen or will he stand up for his members? It is an election year!
VOTE POCZTOWSKI!!!VOTE FOR A TEAMSTER!!!!

#3 xlarge

xlarge

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Achievements

Posted April 03 2009 - 07:02 PM

This plan looks like the same DOG that was voted down in 1997 and in the early 90s. I'm very disappointed that Pat Flynn could not get something better for his members.
If you live in the Metro Chicago area the in-network may work for you. If not, the out of network may end up costing much more. If you retire down south or out west, then what?
One benifit to this plan is that if you retire and your spouse is much younger than you they will be covered until they reach age 65. Current plan is three years after retiree goes on Medicare.
The "Bums Rush" on this one should say something. (Sales pitch this week-No input from the union-Vote next week) I think it will pass. (BOHICA)
When 705 was put into something similar a few years ago they were told they WOULD (not may) be able to go to an *** if they maxed out the benifit. The 705 retirees were offered the choice-stay with AETNA or take the new plan.
With AETNA anything over $300.00, get it pre approved. Save the name of who you talk to, the date and time.

#4 LU710

LU710

• Members
  • 78 posts

Achievements

Posted April 03 2009 - 07:29 PM

Personally I Like the New Plan. Most our drivers are still doing their research on which doctors are in the Networks. This the biggest concern that I have heard. I must say that I don't have any dependants so the doctor issue is not as big of an issue for me as it would be for someone that is married and has kids.

As far as the poster from Local 705, I must say that I think Pat Flynn did very well in not lumping this insurance into the contract. This gave our members the right to vote on a good contract. At the same time gave us the opportunity to vote on a Insurance Plan separetly. Therefore we didn't get stuck with a good contract and a Insurance plan that we didn't want or a bad contract with Insurance that we wanted. Very smart in my eyes. Keep in mind this was agreed to at the table, its not something that UPS is just doing. SoI guess Flynn is standing up for his members by allowing UPS to present their plan and having his members to vote on it as negotiated. I can not coment on your law suit issue because I don't no the facts in your situation or what was or wasn't negotiated. But the facts in our situation are that Pat Flynn and the Committee agreed at the table to allow us to vote separatly on these issues. I haven't heard one bad thing (from the memberors of Local 710) in my building about having the right to vote on a Insurance plan???? This is a win win in my eyes.

#5 705upser

705upser

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Achievements

Posted April 04 2009 - 08:27 AM

Personally I Like the New Plan. Most our drivers are still doing their research on which doctors are in the Networks. This the biggest concern that I have heard. I must say that I don't have any dependants so the doctor issue is not as big of an issue for me as it would be for someone that is married and has kids.

As far as the poster from Local 705, I must say that I think Pat Flynn did very well in not lumping this insurance into the contract. This gave our members the right to vote on a good contract. At the same time gave us the opportunity to vote on a Insurance Plan separetly. Therefore we didn't get stuck with a good contract and a Insurance plan that we didn't want or a bad contract with Insurance that we wanted. Very smart in my eyes. Keep in mind this was agreed to at the table, its not something that UPS is just doing. SoI guess Flynn is standing up for his members by allowing UPS to present their plan and having his members to vote on it as negotiated. I can not coment on your law suit issue because I don't no the facts in your situation or what was or wasn't negotiated. But the facts in our situation are that Pat Flynn and the Committee agreed at the table to allow us to vote separatly on these issues. I haven't heard one bad thing (from the memberors of Local 710) in my building about having the right to vote on a Insurance plan???? This is a win win in my eyes.

I'm not throwing stones at you personally, but if pat had any stones he would have negotiated a good medical package at the time of the contract! He could have stood next to 705 since we where in the same hotel negotiating with ups. He could have used the August 1st deadline to gain a better package instead of deferring it to a later vote. That's not smart negotiating! That's called having no balls, in my eyes!

Why give a handshake when in all reality the contract was not fully negotiated? Is it because he would rather get along with ups? Pat has preached how tight he is with 705! Bull ****! The truth of the matter is he road 705's coat tails during the contract talks and had a clause with ups that when/if 705 does any better he would receive the same. The extra optional days and vacation that you got was not done by Pat! It was Done by Steve, Juan, Kenny and the 705 negotiating team!

By giving a handshake two days early you gave away your leverage! You could have a good medical and a good contract that was voted on by the members, only if you would have had someone that new what they were doing representing you. IMO

#6 linx

linx

• Members
  • 82 posts

Achievements

Posted April 04 2009 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for your post.

I was able to talk to the Hall on one issue that was important . The "right to change policy" is a standard clause associated only if the insurer were to go out of business. This would allow UPS to seek an alternative insurer to step in and facilitate our members insurance needs. The plans would be relatively identical to the plan voted on should this scenario occur. I was informed the current contract also includes the standard language clause.

I would like to find out when this vote is going to be held. There should be some time for everyone to get a copy of the providers.
The web site information the HR gave us is: "Aetna.com", " bcbsil.com"

The packet sent to all members has a UPS Heath Care Dispatch Flier enclosed. Please read the front page," The facts tell the story".
UPS will provide superior comprehensive BASIC BENEFITS, with extra levels of supplemental protection available for a lower cost.
Then turn it over to the back page. Please read the entire paragraph. Detailed information regarding the benefits offered will be provided after ratification. I would prefer to have all the details before voting on this package.

The union sent a letter on this issue last week. Local 710 makes no endorsements for either plan, It is up to us to do our homework to vote for the plan that best meets the needs of all us.

Members please take the time to check out the information provided. Look at the websites to determine if this is a choice we can live with.
This is a very important vote, Inform yourselves and post back any pertinent info you obtain to educate another member.

Thanks ,

Linx
Linx

#7 LU710

LU710

• Members
  • 78 posts

Achievements

Posted April 06 2009 - 06:48 PM

I'm not throwing stones at you personally, but if pat had any stones he would have negotiated a good medical package at the time of the contract! He could have stood next to 705 since we where in the same hotel negotiating with ups. He could have used the August 1st deadline to gain a better package instead of deferring it to a later vote. That's not smart negotiating! That's called having no balls, in my eyes!

Why give a handshake when in all reality the contract was not fully negotiated? Is it because he would rather get along with ups? Pat has preached how tight he is with 705! Bull ****! The truth of the matter is he road 705's coat tails during the contract talks and had a clause with ups that when/if 705 does any better he would receive the same. The extra optional days and vacation that you got was not done by Pat! It was Done by Steve, Juan, Kenny and the 705 negotiating team!

By giving a handshake two days early you gave away your leverage! You could have a good medical and a good contract that was voted on by the members, only if you would have had someone that new what they were doing representing you. IMO

Brother, The original poster started this thread to get info on the new Insurance Plan that he is going to have the opportunity to vote on. Not to debate whether you think Pat Flynn is a good negotiater. For some reason you seem to want to change the direction of this thread to your issues with Pat. Let me be very clear, I know exactly how we got the extra vacation week and the extra optional day. For that I am grateful to brother Pacztowski and your committee. But you no as well as I do that If we got something economicly that 705 didn't; then your committee would have made sure that you got it also. This is smart negotiating.
Don't assume that we don't have a good medical plan now. We do have. We have had our current plan for sometime now and it is a good plan that most are happy with. In the past contracts we have also had the opportunity to vote before UPS was allowed to change our Insurance. I see no problem with this and think that it is a good thing. I must also say that I am very proud to be a member of Lcoal 710 and more impotantly be led by one of the best leaders that we could ask for; Pat Flynn. Whether you like him or not he is a stand up guy that is a true leader.
To change to this New Plan we would be gaining in some areas but loosing in a few also. I am glad that Pat allowed us to vote of this separatly and I beleive most all of the other 710 UPS members would agree.

#8 705upser

705upser

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Achievements

Posted April 10 2009 - 04:11 PM

Brother, The original poster started this thread to get info on the new Insurance Plan that he is going to have the opportunity to vote on. Not to debate whether you think Pat Flynn is a good negotiater. For some reason you seem to want to change the direction of this thread to your issues with Pat. Let me be very clear, I know exactly how we got the extra vacation week and the extra optional day. For that I am grateful to brother Pacztowski and your committee. But you no as well as I do that If we got something economicly that 705 didn't; then your committee would have made sure that you got it also. This is smart negotiating.
Don't assume that we don't have a good medical plan now. We do have. We have had our current plan for sometime now and it is a good plan that most are happy with. In the past contracts we have also had the opportunity to vote before UPS was allowed to change our Insurance. I see no problem with this and think that it is a good thing. I must also say that I am very proud to be a member of Lcoal 710 and more impotantly be led by one of the best leaders that we could ask for; Pat Flynn. Whether you like him or not he is a stand up guy that is a true leader.
To change to this New Plan we would be gaining in some areas but loosing in a few also. I am glad that Pat allowed us to vote of this separatly and I beleive most all of the other 710 UPS members would agree.

I was talking with a group of 710 feeder drivers today. There is a lot of confusion. Is it true with the new plan that all the current retirees would stay under the old plan? Also they were talking about that all new retirees would pay more for their medical if they retired after a certain date. I do not know the answers so i did not try to answer, but if all the future reirees would have to pay more for their medical this should be voted down! IMO

we just won a lawsuit here against ups for that.
http://www.teamsters...ratulations.htm

#9 linx

linx

• Members
  • 82 posts

Achievements

Posted April 10 2009 - 05:41 PM

I was talking with a group of 710 feeder drivers today. There is a lot of confusion. Is it true with the new plan that all the current retirees would stay under the old plan? Also they were talking about that all new retirees would pay more for their medical if they retired after a certain date. I do not know the answers so i did not try to answer, but if all the future reirees would have to pay more for their medical this should be voted down! IMO

we just won a lawsuit here against ups for that.
http://www.teamsters...ratulations.htm

I was talking about the same subject today . There were two recent retirees inquiring . They were asking me if they would be included with the new plan. I do not have the answers yet. I did tell them I would assume they would be covered by the current plan strictly on the basis they retired with these benefits. do not quote me on that, just an assumption. That is usually how it works, but this is a rare occurrence, so I am also not really sure. I have not heard of the future payments yet. that's a good question , I will add it to my list, thank you.

I have not been able to get a list of providers yet. I asked my Mngt. personnel if they could download a copy for me. I have not received anything yet. I cannot even access the website to get info because our plan is not listed in the drop down. If anyone can help please post info.
Linx

#10 upsgreedvsthemselves

upsgreedvsthemselves

• Members
  • 82 posts

Achievements

Posted April 15 2009 - 07:37 PM

I was talking about the same subject today . There were two recent retirees inquiring . They were asking me if they would be included with the new plan. I do not have the answers yet. I did tell them I would assume they would be covered by the current plan strictly on the basis they retired with these benefits. do not quote me on that, just an assumption. That is usually how it works, but this is a rare occurrence, so I am also not really sure. I have not heard of the future payments yet. that's a good question , I will add it to my list, thank you.

I have not been able to get a list of providers yet. I asked my Mngt. personnel if they could download a copy for me. I have not received anything yet. I cannot even access the website to get info because our plan is not listed in the drop down. If anyone can help please post info.

After talking to Pat he feels the same as most UPSERS. You know what you currently have so sometimes it's good to keep what you've got. The company as usual is putting on a half a$$ presentation for something they want and just as in '97 this will get voted down. They are so vague in their explanations and can't give any concrete answers in writing. This is probably do to the fact that they told their management they had to take a similar plan or else some years back . Arrogance runs wild at UPS in Atlanta. Managers will tell you our plan is much better than what they have and that alone is good enough for me to vote NO !!

#11 linx

linx

• Members
  • 82 posts

Achievements

Posted April 16 2009 - 05:47 PM

I would have to agree with that point. I do not think the Union thinks much of this plan. After many hours of questions, asking for more information to no avail, I will be voting "NO" on this new health plan. I would have thought that UPS would have been more proactive if they wanted support for this plan. As usual, they end up falling over there own feet. I know what our current plan pays for. No, It's not perfect, but I don't have to wonder , worry about any changes in the near future. I strongly suggest those of us who know what we have try to keep it. Please inform your comrades for the upcoming vote.

Thanks for your input,

Linx
Linx

#12 LU710

LU710

• Members
  • 78 posts

Achievements

Posted April 19 2009 - 07:10 PM

It is my understanding that the ballots went out on friday and are to be counted on wednesday 4/29/09. No matter how you choose to vote; please take the time to mark your ballot and return it.

ps. Congratulations Local 705 on your law suit, job well done!!

#13 upsgreedvsthemselves

upsgreedvsthemselves

• Members
  • 82 posts

Achievements

Posted April 30 2009 - 10:06 AM

It is my understanding that the ballots went out on friday and are to be counted on wednesday 4/29/09. No matter how you choose to vote; please take the time to mark your ballot and return it.

ps. Congratulations Local 705 on your law suit, job well done!!

710 members voted no to change health benefits package. 53% voted no. Only half of the ballots mailed were returned. Get ready for the next concession. They'll probably try to get the Aug. raise back to pay for rising healthcare costs. Something is up their sleeve because this last thing went very quiet. It was as if they could've cared less what way it went. Keep your eyes and ears open.

#14 linx

linx

• Members
  • 82 posts

Achievements

Posted May 01 2009 - 07:20 PM

The ballots count are in. The new health plan proposed by UPS was rejected by a slim majority vote. We will keep our current insurance package. Thanks to all who voted.

Linx
Linx