Photo
- - - - -

Pay Raises And New Contract

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 southernbell

southernbell

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 05:21 PM

Ok here is my questions. My husband has been with UPS almost 9 years. He started out as a pre load, then he went to part time pre load supervisor and now he is a full time package driver. He started driving May 9, 2008 and got his Seniority July 3 2008. The new contract for the pay raises went into effect Aug 1, 2008.

We have been told that he was being paid under the new contract since he started so close to in coming into effect. Then we were told no he is being paid under the old one. Then we get told if they are paying him under the old one he is getting overpaid. Payroll told us that he is getting paid the right amount, and this was before Aug 1, 08.

He was getting paid $16.77 an hour. He didn't get a pay raise when he reached his seniorty date. Now that the new contract has started he got a $0.30 pay raise. What is the progression rate for? I don't know if we are to get that also. I also noticed that new drivers coming in after Aug 1, 2008 will be making more money than my husband. Why is that?

I am just trying to cover my tracks. While my husband was a part time pre load supervisor he was called to active duty for 2 years. UPS knew what day he was coming back. They tried to say that he was not intitled to his pay raises. We had to fight UPS for weeks to get what was due to my husband. I had to go as far as calling JAG to get paperwork to show UPS that they had to treat my husband like he has been there the whole time. With all that trouble I have became really good friends with the manager over the hub.

#2 upsbrother

upsbrother

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 12:09 PM

SouthernBell
Not sure where the $16.77 comes from, must be his part-time rate. Anyway, assuming that is correct, he stays in the old progression, gets the August 1 08 and february 1 09 raises (35 cents each), and in addition will make no less than the old progression rates. the one year rate is $16.80, so he will be above that next May because of the 70 cents raise he gets. Next cycle he will get a 75 cent raise in two bumps, august 1 09 and february 1 10. may 2010 he gets the 2 year progression bump to $18.90, and then gets the august 1, 2010 raise (37.5 cents per hour). At 30 months as a driver, he will go to top rate, somewhere around $29.50 per hour, and get all the raises on Feb/Aug/Feb/Aug etc until the last raise feb 2013.

The rate for the new progression is higher, but it is also 6 months longer. Your husband will go to top rate, over ten dollars per hour jump, six months sooner than the new guy. Overall, over a 36 month period, your husband will make a couple of thousand dollars more under the old progression.

#3 southernbell

southernbell

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 11:11 AM

I was told that he started out like an outside hire because he was PT management. He was salary when he was managment. UPS told us he is making the right amt when it was $16.77, now it is $17.12. Then we were told oh hes getting paid wrong. That is the pay plus cola under the new contract. So these people they have in HR and Payroll just take you in circles. They have no idea what they are talking about. It took them 9 weeks to figure out the health insurance after I said I was going to get a lawyer and take them to court. I wonder where these people get there education. When he reached his seniority date why didn't he get the progression. Thank you for the help.

#4 upsbrother

upsbrother

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 09:56 AM

if he was paid like an outside hire he would have started at $14.70 and gone to $15.75 at seniority. looks like they gave him credit for all years of employment for his start rate. i suggest that you not question that too loudly. he did not go up at seniority cause he was already making more than that rate ($15.75). As management coming in, that is what he should have been making. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. UPS hires its payroll employees from Berzerkistan.

#5 krash

krash

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 4,270 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 07:04 AM

Good advice upsbrother.

He would be considered an off the street hire since thats what they usually use the 5 to 1 ratio for.

sothernbell,

What local are yall in?
But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matt 6; 33

#6 southernbell

southernbell

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted August 19 2008 - 08:23 PM

if he was paid like an outside hire he would have started at $14.70 and gone to $15.75 at seniority. looks like they gave him credit for all years of employment for his start rate. i suggest that you not question that too loudly. he did not go up at seniority cause he was already making more than that rate ($15.75). As management coming in, that is what he should have been making. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. UPS hires its payroll employees from Berzerkistan.

I talked with the union rep. He and I went over everything together. The head manager over his hub called Dallas about it. Dallas said oh hes making the right amount. So the union rep and I both said forget it. We will just leave it alone. I even have a email saying that they are paying him the right amount. I am a very honest person. Just like when they started him out at $28 an hour while my husband was away at his drivers training. I took a copy of his pay stub to the hub. Everyone knows me there so they dont stop me when I walk inside. I told them this needs to be fixed asap. They had it fixed that day. He is making more now because of there spilt raise they get. So I am not going to worry about it. Thank you for you advice and help. You guys are great.

#7 southernbell

southernbell

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted August 19 2008 - 08:29 PM

Good advice upsbrother.

He would be considered an off the street hire since thats what they usually use the 5 to 1 ratio for.

sothernbell,

What local are yall in?

We are in local 402. I think they are great. The people there are very friendly and helpful. This is the first time I have ever been involved with the union. I didn't know anything about the union. I still dont know all but I am learning little by little how it all works.

Yes they considered him a outside hire. So I will let the dog lie for now. I do stay on top of everything that goes on.

#8 BlackCloud

BlackCloud

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted August 21 2008 - 04:01 AM

Do you cut his meat for him too??