• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Pipeline Contract

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 TeamsterThug

TeamsterThug

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Achievements

Posted July 13 2007 - 05:02 PM

I have alot of members who are working on the pipeline now. They are telling me that their company appointed stewards will not furnish copies of the contract. I have had no luck getting one from the local union. Anyone know where I could see it?
Corporate greed is the number one cause of workplace violence.

#2 ibter

ibter

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Achievements

Posted July 13 2007 - 06:01 PM

Call Richard Stern, Director, IBT Construction Division 202-624-6800

#3 ajax

ajax

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 4,455 posts

Achievements

Posted July 14 2007 - 03:38 AM

######, do you really mean that the company appoints the stewards? Is this the way all the stewards are selected?
STRONGER THAN DIRT
A good man begins to die, the moment he doesn't stand up for what is right.

#4 TeamsterThug

TeamsterThug

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Achievements

Posted July 15 2007 - 06:20 AM

######, do you really mean that the company appoints the stewards? Is this the way all the stewards are selected?
STRONGER THAN DIRT

Yes this is true and its a joke. They have full time union stewards on the jobsite that do nothing but hang out with management. The Teamster steward has claimed he does not have a copy of the union contract, cannot answer basic questions about what is in the contract and has refused to do anything for people that have been wrongfully terminated. The local union hall that is suppose to be governing the worksite is equally worthless. I plan on getting contracts and distributing them to all of the Teamsters on site.

#5 TeamsterThug

TeamsterThug

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Achievements

Posted July 15 2007 - 10:51 AM

I am no expert on pipeline but I believe in the construction side of things, the first guy hired on the job is automatically the steward. So in a way the company does appoint them. You should be able to get a copy of book by requesting one from the steward, the Business Representative or Local. If not then ask at the Joint Council and lastly if you still do not get one give Brother Stern a call. Go through the steps then ***** till you do get one! :(

I have been through every step aside from contacting Stern. I will do that on monday.

#6 007

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Achievements

Posted July 15 2007 - 11:09 AM

I have been through every step aside from contacting Stern. I will do that on monday.

I am sure that Richard Stern will get you a copy. We don't know what Local you are refearing to or what area is involved. If you still are unable to get copies check and see if you are covered by the NLRB or who ever handles contracts. File charges against anybody that is refusing to give out copies. If you are not involved in the pipeline contracts then they will refuse to give you a copy.

#7 TeamsterThug

TeamsterThug

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Achievements

Posted July 15 2007 - 11:57 AM

I am sure that Richard Stern will get you a copy. We don't know what Local you are refearing to or what area is involved. If you still are unable to get copies check and see if you are covered by the NLRB or who ever handles contracts. File charges against anybody that is refusing to give out copies. If you are not involved in the pipeline contracts then they will refuse to give you a copy.

I know exactly what to do with the NLRB. I was just hoping that like the laborers, the Teamsters might have their pipeline agreement available online. I have around 30 members working on the pipeline in my area. As stated before, the job steward and the local union have refused to furnish copies of the contract.

#8 yougottabekiddin

yougottabekiddin

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Achievements

Posted July 15 2007 - 01:47 PM

You keep referring to "having members" working in pipeline. This implies that you are the agent for those workers. Or work for the local in some capacity. Regardless, you should contact the regional director of construction for your area. If you don't know who that is, then you haven't bothered to ask. Maybe you just don't realize it, or maybe all you want to do is ***** and start trouble, but the construction division will make sure you are put in contact with the right person who will give you accurate answers, and they'll do it without giving you the runaround. And a previous poster gave you the contact number. Just don't come on T-Net and piss and moan without doing your homework first. If Richard Stern tells you to piss up a rope, than you can complain. But damn, don't go trashing people or processes that you obviously don't know anything about until you run out of other options. It sounds to me like there is some work that came into your jurisdiction, you couldn't fill the call and the construction division sent guys in so that we didn't lose the work. Now someone is unhappy because they realize these are pretty good jobs, and probably should have done more to get their buddies hired. Since there are some hurt feelings, the person who didn't do their job in the first place will now watch the operation like a hawk and try to file on every simple violation, regardless of how negligiable. I bet thats pretty close to whats going on here.

#9 Union Muscle

Union Muscle

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Achievements

Posted July 15 2007 - 02:11 PM

I know exactly what to do with the NLRB. I was just hoping that like the laborers, the Teamsters might have their pipeline agreement available online. I have around 30 members working on the pipeline in my area. As stated before, the job steward and the local union have refused to furnish copies of the contract.

Hay Thug, You wouldnt be working for the pipeline in St. Joseph MO. that Local 541 out of KC MO. handles would you? This crap is the same thing that is going on at the pipe line that I work at in St. Joseph MO. I have ask for a contract twice and the steward refuses to give me one, I dont know what benefits I have or anything. Also last week the BA and the President of my union came up to the job to have a secret meeting with management and when they were finished they didnt say anything to the membership before leaving. I think they see us as a bunch of pee-ons.

#10 TeamsterThug

TeamsterThug

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Achievements

Posted July 15 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hay Thug, You wouldnt be working for the pipeline in St. Joseph MO. that Local 541 out of KC MO. handles would you? This crap is the same thing that is going on at the pipe line that I work at in St. Joseph MO. I have ask for a contract twice and the steward refuses to give me one, I dont know what benefits I have or anything. Also last week the BA and the President of my union came up to the job to have a secret meeting with management and when they were finished they didnt say anything to the membership before leaving. I think they see us as a bunch of pee-ons.

Wow, yes you are right on there. Ive talked to a few more of the people up there and everyone is fed up with the corruption at 541. The members have started a website--- www.Teamsterslocal541.com

More members need to get involved like this and expose these lazy ass officials for what they are.

#11 RealTeam

RealTeam

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 3,144 posts

Achievements

Posted July 16 2007 - 10:07 AM

Wow, yes you are right on there. Ive talked to a few more of the people up there and everyone is fed up with the corruption at 541. The members have started a website--- www.Teamsterslocal541.com

More members need to get involved like this and expose these lazy ass officials for what they are.

Isn't Chastity Young (Phil's daughter) in that Local? Maybe Barking Dog knows, maybe she can give us an "insider report"...

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris. 1910.
Theodore Roosevelt

#12 Union Muscle

Union Muscle

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Achievements

Posted July 16 2007 - 04:43 PM

Isn't Chastity Young (Phil's daughter) in that Local? Maybe Barking Dog knows, maybe she can give us an "insider report"...

She will give you an inside report alright, she's part of the problem with Local 541. When she worked in the office of 541 she came in when ever she wanted, painted her finger nails and then watch the soaps on TV. Chastity ran that Local Presidents campaign in 2004. So ya she will give you the inside scoop. I thought the International was suppose to keep out of local elections.

#13 Hogrdr

Hogrdr

• Members
  • 3 posts

Achievements

Posted July 19 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hey Thug
As to contract if he can't get one how can he give it to you? I'm a business agent and I have never recieved one. When I contacted IBT they state they are still waiting on locals to send in current fringe package to update current contract. This is where the problem is to many locals don't care about pipeliners untill they get pipeline in there jurisdiction. Then most just want the dobie dues. Some don't even show up to pre job leaving the steward to fight operators and laborers from taking our jurisdiction with no backing from the local. So don't bad mouth a pipline steward as most have more Union Blood in there little toe than Heavy & Highway workers. I read where your members are upset with a dues increase. Pipeliners pay double dues they pay there home local and dobie to the local there working in. With this being said they have no say as to proposals for the National Pipeline Agreement nor are they allowed to vote on the contract they work under but they still pay dues and most are the proudest Teamsters I've met. The pipeline industry is under attack like all Union jobs compeating with non union bidding and they have no restrictions. They have there drivers drive out to the line and then labor all day. We don't do that under the pipeline contract. Most Union Pipeline contractors are some of the best to work with as Management as you call them 99.9% of them are card carrying members who worked there life in the industry. Starting as a Laborer and working there way up. There are the bad ones who will try to put Laborers on our jurisdiction cause there cheaper. Thats when a good steward never allows that to happen. But remeber he still has to get along with the local the contractor and the members. This is a pipeliners life travel all over US working in states where wages and fringes are so low YOU would never do it but they keep the contractors in business. The pipeline agreement is a simple one Contactors will work you allot of over time pay you good money to be a professional driver show up on time shut up and drive. No problems but if you want to cause troubles with all the whining and nit picking get the hell out of the way and let them get the pipe in the ground and they will move on to the next job. Go up to the steward shake his hand and buy him a stiff drink at the end of the day if your a real TEAMSTER!

Craig Eddins
Business Agent
Teamsters Local 222

#14 TeamsterThug

TeamsterThug

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Achievements

Posted July 20 2007 - 01:13 AM

Hey Thug
As to contract if he can't get one how can he give it to you? I'm a business agent and I have never recieved one. When I contacted IBT they state they are still waiting on locals to send in current fringe package to update current contract. This is where the problem is to many locals don't care about pipeliners untill they get pipeline in there jurisdiction. Then most just want the dobie dues. Some don't even show up to pre job leaving the steward to fight operators and laborers from taking our jurisdiction with no backing from the local. So don't bad mouth a pipline steward as most have more Union Blood in there little toe than Heavy & Highway workers. I read where your members are upset with a dues increase. Pipeliners pay double dues they pay there home local and dobie to the local there working in. With this being said they have no say as to proposals for the National Pipeline Agreement nor are they allowed to vote on the contract they work under but they still pay dues and most are the proudest Teamsters I've met. The pipeline industry is under attack like all Union jobs compeating with non union bidding and they have no restrictions. They have there drivers drive out to the line and then labor all day. We don't do that under the pipeline contract. Most Union Pipeline contractors are some of the best to work with as Management as you call them 99.9% of them are card carrying members who worked there life in the industry. Starting as a Laborer and working there way up. There are the bad ones who will try to put Laborers on our jurisdiction cause there cheaper. Thats when a good steward never allows that to happen. But remeber he still has to get along with the local the contractor and the members. This is a pipeliners life travel all over US working in states where wages and fringes are so low YOU would never do it but they keep the contractors in business. The pipeline agreement is a simple one Contactors will work you allot of over time pay you good money to be a professional driver show up on time shut up and drive. No problems but if you want to cause troubles with all the whining and nit picking get the hell out of the way and let them get the pipe in the ground and they will move on to the next job. Go up to the steward shake his hand and buy him a stiff drink at the end of the day if your a real TEAMSTER!

Craig Eddins
Business Agent
Teamsters Local 222

What a load of crap. With Ba's like you its no wonder we are falling apart

#15 Hogrdr

Hogrdr

• Members
  • 3 posts

Achievements

Posted July 20 2007 - 07:57 PM

What a load of crap. With Ba's like you its no wonder we are falling apart

No we are falling apart because of morons like you! You think you know everything like company appointed stewards. Where the hell did you get that idea? I have five pipelines under construction right now with five different contractors good and bad. I appointed all stewards. The IBT will step in if stewards are appointed who know nothing about pipeline work. Is it not in all Teamsters interest to get Teamsters on jobs who know the job? Makes for a better production which makes for more profit all parties win. If a moron like you had his way you would get on job and make everything a conflict. We all lose! I've never seen a Teamster fired for doing his job but I've seen many who felt they were fired unfair. In all cases they were either Teamsters who just wouldn't do the job expected or would sit around a whine to the point nobody wanted them on the job.

Pipeline stewards have to deal with locals sending there members out who don't have a clue. Then the steward spends allot of time trying to keep the brother on the job cause he is a Teamster. Has the concept of we are the Teamsters the best qualified most efficient turned into we are the Teamsters put up with them no matter how screwed up he is.

What is the real problem Thug did you get your feelings hurt cause you feel you should steward? Or did someone you dislike get appointed? So now you want to turn it a personal attack! Brother I put my name and local because I don't need to hide behind some made up name. If a local is messed up and the IBT just don't care then all we have is each other the MEMBERS. I have learned the hard way appointing my Heavy & Highway stewards to pipelines and it turn into a disaster for members and company. I now use stewards from my home state and other states across the country including Missouri. We still have are problems but when it's all over we can say we did our best for all parties. I've never gave up any jurisdiction to another Union unless the IBT makes us. All I asked before you judge a pipeline steward get to know him get to know the work and the issues he faces before you judge.

#16 LaborActivist

LaborActivist

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 13 posts

Achievements

Posted July 22 2007 - 08:23 AM

No we are falling apart because of morons like you! You think you know everything like company appointed stewards. Where the hell did you get that idea? I have five pipelines under construction right now with five different contractors good and bad. I appointed all stewards. The IBT will step in if stewards are appointed who know nothing about pipeline work. Is it not in all Teamsters interest to get Teamsters on jobs who know the job? Makes for a better production which makes for more profit all parties win. If a moron like you had his way you would get on job and make everything a conflict. We all lose! I've never seen a Teamster fired for doing his job but I've seen many who felt they were fired unfair. In all cases they were either Teamsters who just wouldn't do the job expected or would sit around a whine to the point nobody wanted them on the job.

Pipeline stewards have to deal with locals sending there members out who don't have a clue. Then the steward spends allot of time trying to keep the brother on the job cause he is a Teamster. Has the concept of we are the Teamsters the best qualified most efficient turned into we are the Teamsters put up with them no matter how screwed up he is.

What is the real problem Thug did you get your feelings hurt cause you feel you should steward? Or did someone you dislike get appointed? So now you want to turn it a personal attack! Brother I put my name and local because I don't need to hide behind some made up name. If a local is messed up and the IBT just don't care then all we have is each other the MEMBERS. I have learned the hard way appointing my Heavy & Highway stewards to pipelines and it turn into a disaster for members and company. I now use stewards from my home state and other states across the country including Missouri. We still have are problems but when it's all over we can say we did our best for all parties. I've never gave up any jurisdiction to another Union unless the IBT makes us. All I asked before you judge a pipeline steward get to know him get to know the work and the issues he faces before you judge.

You have no idea what your talking about Craig. That steward up there is the biggest ass kissing, back stabbing, butt licking bastard that ever lived!

#17 Union Muscle

Union Muscle

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Achievements

Posted July 22 2007 - 12:32 PM

###### thinks this steward is Company appointed because he cant stop kissing the managements ass and having secret meetings and also three (3) situations have come up and this steward (if we may call him that) did nothing to defend the membership. As far as appointing stewards I would never dream of doing that just for the reason you are experiencing now, I thought stewards are to be elected by the members working on the job and to be removed the same way? What if we excersize our rights as members and removed this worthless and weak steward? I got to say this steward is really on top of he's game, he had the members sign dues authorization papers after the dues were taken out of the members checks, wow impressive! Hogrdr are you badmouthing all the greenhorns that are on the job in St. joseph MO. Because there is very little experienced hands here, if it wasnt for the greenhorns this job wouldnt be where it is today. As far as your steward spending alot of time defending the members, I dont think so! If Thug wanted the steward position he would just have stan voted out and that would be that, after all it is up to the membership right? or are you one of them BA's that think they can do what ever? One more question Hogrdr, how can you appoint a steward in St. joseph MO. when this is not your jurisdiction? we pay dues to Local 541. So I would appreciate you not bad mouthing a situation that it seems you know nothing about or my members will correct the problem just as easy as it became a problem.

#18 Hogrdr

Hogrdr

• Members
  • 3 posts

Achievements

Posted July 22 2007 - 06:48 PM

###### thinks this steward is Company appointed because he cant stop kissing the managements ass and having secret meetings and also three (3) situations have come up and this steward (if we may call him that) did nothing to defend the membership. As far as appointing stewards I would never dream of doing that just for the reason you are experiencing now, I thought stewards are to be elected by the members working on the job and to be removed the same way? What if we excersize our rights as members and removed this worthless and weak steward? I got to say this steward is really on top of he's game, he had the members sign dues authorization papers after the dues were taken out of the members checks, wow impressive! Hogrdr are you badmouthing all the greenhorns that are on the job in St. joseph MO. Because there is very little experienced hands here, if it wasnt for the greenhorns this job wouldnt be where it is today. As far as your steward spending alot of time defending the members, I dont think so! If Thug wanted the steward position he would just have stan voted out and that would be that, after all it is up to the membership right? or are you one of them BA's that think they can do what ever? One more question Hogrdr, how can you appoint a steward in St. joseph MO. when this is not your jurisdiction? we pay dues to Local 541. So I would appreciate you not bad mouthing a situation that it seems you know nothing about or my members will correct the problem just as easy as it became a problem.

I can't appoint a steward in Mo. I can tell you that the International Pipeline Agreement gives the IBT the right to appoint stewards. I appoint the stewards on pipelines in my jurisdiction but the IBT over looks who I use. There is no member vote on pipeline. So if there is an issue call Stern he can remove who ever is steward. I'm not defending said steward I just speak for the ones who steward for me. If you look all I have said is go sit down with him and talk if he is that bad call Stern. If the steward is bad and your local won't represent you file with the IBT cause the have ultiment over sight of pipeline agreement.

#19 alex_y

alex_y

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 2,373 posts

Achievements

Posted July 22 2007 - 11:26 PM

Amazing, a lot of unhappiness and no one has pointed out any violations or perceptions of contract violations given the fact that they do not have a contract. Getting pipeline contracts seems to be a never ending problem that is decades old. Too many signatory Locals and too many side letters and such to knit into the contract. As a general rule most stewards and Local Unions know and enforce contract provisions. Some of the information provided for in this thread is very candidly straight on and makes sense to most anyone that has worked pipeline (which I have not) any length of time.

Couple of points, what is so unusual about having appointed stewards in construction and or pipeline. Also, what's so secretive about a meeting with management that a BA and steward participate in. That's an every day ocurence all over the whole country. That is what they are supposed to do, meet with management to resolve problems and grievances. :eek:
alex y.

#20 TeamsterThug

TeamsterThug

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Achievements

Posted July 23 2007 - 06:15 PM

Amazing, a lot of unhappiness and no one has pointed out any violations or perceptions of contract violations given the fact that they do not have a contract. Getting pipeline contracts seems to be a never ending problem that is decades old. Too many signatory Locals and too many side letters and such to knit into the contract. As a general rule most stewards and Local Unions know and enforce contract provisions. Some of the information provided for in this thread is very candidly straight on and makes sense to most anyone that has worked pipeline (which I have not) any length of time.

Couple of points, what is so unusual about having appointed stewards in construction and or pipeline. Also, what's so secretive about a meeting with management that a BA and steward participate in. That's an every day ocurence all over the whole country. That is what they are supposed to do, meet with management to resolve problems and grievances. :-D

Is it an everyday occurance that management meets with B/A'S and plans out how to beat their own members greivances? I guess its ok for the union employees to take managers out to dinner on the members dues money to huh? What about when a member files a greviance for being terminated in violation of the union contract and his b/a tries to get him to sign a letter of resignation instead of pursuing the wrongful termination? Sound outlandish?