• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

- - - - -

WHY DOES UPS PAY THEIR DRIVERS SO MUCH MONEY?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted September 23 2002 - 05:54 AM

Why do they do it? The work is hard, but the work is hard everywhere these days. UPS is so tight what is the reason they pay 23 bucks an hour plus benefits to deliver boxes?
Answer the question to the best of your knowledge. I´ll check back and see if anyone knows why they do it.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted September 23 2002 - 06:24 AM

They have to pay their drivers this much so they can afford the union dues.

#3 seven

seven

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 700 posts

Achievements

Posted September 23 2002 - 06:44 AM

one word...........teamsters........thank you.......

#4 feeder

feeder

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Achievements

Posted September 23 2002 - 09:18 AM

Because package car drivers are the ones who make the real-life conscience decisions on the road, from taking care of customers and working with shippers on pickup times and ect. Of course management makes those decisions as well, but the drivers deal with real issues, real problems, and management only deals with the numbers...OH, I forgot to mention, We ups employees work for a $$$$$$$BILLION$$$$$$ COMPANY, I remember a manager telling me 1 ups trailer full of packages, the revenues can pay for the entire salaries of managment and union employees for the entire week, in that hub.....
[ This message was edited by: feeder on 23-09-2002 12:21 ]

[ This message was edited by: feeder on 23-09-2002 12:23 ]

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted September 23 2002 - 01:54 PM

easy jobs don´t pay much ... you figure out the rest

#6 UPSUCKS

UPSUCKS

Semi-Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Achievements

Posted September 25 2002 - 02:43 PM

Actually 23 and some change isn´t a whole lot.............I know that I cannot afford a 1/4 million dollar ranch, and Bently, a yacht,,,,,,so where the hell do you think that UPS pays a lot? your smokin crack kid.

Now go tell a driver in NYC that they make a lot. I bet that they really laugh.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted September 25 2002 - 11:18 PM

They are whores! They wear little brown short pants and will suck the supervisor’s D--- just to get him off his ass. They skip lunch and give that time to management, but whine about it later at Union meetings they may attend once a year.

They have absolutely NO balls and embarrass all other Teamsters. Dykes and Queers! A real strike will bite them in the ass! The third week of the 1997 incident, they were crossing the line in groves! They may be the biggest employer base, but they are an embarrassment. They no noting of going hungry and serving a purpose for ALL working people.

Brown Shorts DO NOT support others, but will expect the support and dedication of others. But, when the other Unions have a need, “Go F-ck Yourself.” Many UPSers stayed at home during their own strike and showed up for the strike checks along! Disgusting membership! Let them die – weak ass, lazy, brown shorts wearing *******.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted September 26 2002 - 09:13 AM

Quote:

On 2002-09-26 02:18, Anonymous wrote:
They are whores! They wear little brown short pants and will suck the supervisor’s D--- just to get him off his ass. They skip lunch and give that time to management, but whine about it later at Union meetings they may attend once a year.

They have absolutely NO balls and embarrass all other Teamsters. Dykes and Queers! A real strike will bite them in the ass! The third week of the 1997 incident, they were crossing the line in groves! They may be the biggest employer base, but they are an embarrassment. They no noting of going hungry and serving a purpose for ALL working people.

Brown Shorts DO NOT support others, but will expect the support and dedication of others. But, when the other Unions have a need, “Go F-ck Yourself.” Many UPSers stayed at home during their own strike and showed up for the strike checks along! Disgusting membership! Let them die – weak ass, lazy, brown shorts wearing *******.

the only whores are the little ones in part time sucking up for more money...the pc drivers make all the decisions that affect the entire company from the little part-timers to the upper management. The drivers make the majority of the money for UPS and they know that, so go whistle your turds somewhere else.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted September 26 2002 - 11:42 AM

You guys are a bunch of assholes. I work my ***** ass off for this company and all I hear is that I make too much money.

You ***** dumb ass wake up. We work for a multi BILLION dollar company that in spite of our high pay still spends millions on advertising and blows money on all kinds of other stupid ****.

If I did not take my check they might for one example be able to hire many more supervisors that do NOTHING exept lie and cook the numbers every week like the ones that are there now.

#10 upsman8120

upsman8120

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Achievements

Posted September 26 2002 - 05:44 PM

The best deserve the best! The drivers are UPS to the public! It goes without saying, the work is physically and mentally demanding. In this day and age, $63,000 per year is not that high an income. You need to get on the truck someday and you´ll figure it out harebone!!!
Colorado State University 1981 BA Social Sciences (Major) and Business( Minor )

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted September 26 2002 - 07:16 PM

that 23 a hour makes up for when you only make 8.50 part time with a full time job at ups

plus to you think that they could get people to work for 15 are 17 dollars why hell no

it well be funny in 4 years where well ups get the part timers then
8.50 hell make more at a fast food joint the 6 year contract sucks

#12 JAFO

JAFO

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Achievements

Posted September 28 2002 - 07:44 AM

"You ***** dumb ass wake up. We work for a multi BILLION dollar company that in spite of our high pay still spends millions on advertising and blows money on all kinds of other stupid ****"

Are you talking about the $20 BILLION in wages and benefits we spend annually on stupid shits like you?

"In this day and age, $63,000 per year is not that high an income"

You´re right. Go to work Monday and tell your supervisor that your going to allow our competitors to bid for your services if he doesn´t give you a big raise.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted September 28 2002 - 10:57 AM

I don´t know where the rest of you guys live, but $ 63,000 is a lot of money where I come from. My buddy works on an asphalt road crew for $ 15.00 an hour. And his job is why harder and hotter than mine. And the kicker is he thinks he is making good money.I think I´ll just stay in my tractor with a/c and keep getting set pay.

#14 upsman8120

upsman8120

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Achievements

Posted September 30 2002 - 02:04 PM

JAFO, look at me? Pro, that´s what 90% of the service providers are at UPS. The cost of housing in our area is astronomical, you need at least $200,000 for a decent home. I can stare at the mountains in all different directions, but a I sure can´t eat them.Many of the homes in this area are priced well into the three and four hundred thousand dollar range! So I don´t think $60,000 + per year is that substanial.Pro baby, PRO!!!
Colorado State University 1981 BA Social Sciences (Major) and Business( Minor )

#15 JAFO

JAFO

Hardcore Member

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Achievements

Posted October 01 2002 - 03:19 AM

And we owe it to our drivers, the large majority of whom have no more than a high school diploma, a wage that will allow the to live in a $400,000 home??? A veteran driver who has enough equity in his first home should be able to upgrade to this price range if he has handled his finances well over the years. A younger driver who hasn´t probably can´t at this point.

#16 Anita_657

Anita_657

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 247 posts

Achievements

Posted October 02 2002 - 01:57 PM

So much? They deserve more than $23 an hour. The answer is because of the Teamsters.

#17 Jim

Jim

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 238 posts

Achievements

Posted October 02 2002 - 03:58 PM

The answer is 23.00 / hr is not a lot of money. The drivers make this much because they won´t settle for less through the teamsters. The check should be much larger for part-timers, but it seems most of them didn´t vote on this contract, which is a shame since they outnumber the full-timers roughly 2 to 1. I voted against this contract and would do it again because I respect what the part timers do every dammm day...and 8.50 starting sucks. The company knows when the drivers walk, they come to a screeching halt..doesn´t matter what preparations or contingency plans they make...the public knows the drivers..they shift volume when the driver they know for more than 20 years doesn´t show up..it wouldn´t matter to them if they cut the rates in half..the drivers are their friends, neighbors, and family. The company tries to pretend they do this through United Way and charity, but the public recognizes the drivers, not the company. Ups knows it can´t make it without the drivers , so they pay them more...the rest they treat like dirt all the time..the drivers only half the time...go figure....

#18 BlackCloud

BlackCloud

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 943 posts

Achievements

Posted October 29 2005 - 07:17 PM

They are whores!  They wear little brown short pants and will suck the supervisor’s D--- just to get him off his ass.  They skip lunch and give that time to management, but whine about it later at Union meetings they may attend once a year.
<BR>
<BR>They have absolutely NO balls and embarrass all other Teamsters.  Dykes and Queers!  A real strike will bite them in the ass!  The third week of the 1997 incident, they were crossing the line in groves!  They may be the biggest employer base, but they are an embarrassment.  They no noting of going hungry and serving a purpose for ALL working people.  
<BR>
<BR>Brown Shorts DO NOT support others, but will expect the support and dedication of others.  But, when the other Unions have a need, “Go F-ck Yourself.”  Many UPSers stayed at home during their own strike and showed up for the strike checks along!  Disgusting membership!  Let them die – weak ass, lazy, brown shorts wearing *******.
<BR>

Therer was no third week. Hope you can learn higher math someday.

#19 rumblestrips

rumblestrips

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 769 posts

Achievements

Posted October 29 2005 - 07:25 PM

They have to pay their drivers this much so they can afford the union dues.

Rofl ........ lets see ...$67 /per month for dues, which include a great pension, great benefits, and job security. I would, and have, paid nearly this at $14/hour when I first went full time. And, I am still very happy to work for this company at $26.68/hour, straight rate. Paid and earned, thank you Teamsters.

#20 gearjammer

gearjammer

Journeyman Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Achievements

Posted October 29 2005 - 07:45 PM

Me thinks there was some jealousy on the part of some of these guys.If they can't complete a sentence properly in their posts then maybe they should not make what we do an hour.Please wannabes use English as your first language,or at least use spell checker before you slam us "overpaid"guys in brown.Or at least have the intestinal fortitude not to post as Anonymous.